Friday, July 22, 2011

A million little papers

When it comes to marriage, I hear a lot of people saying, "I don't want to get married."  To those people, I say don't.  It's not for everyone.  I also hear a lot of people saying, "Why?  I don't need a piece of paper to define my relationship."  And to those hippies, I say bullshit.

We need pieces of paper for everything we do in life.  We need a piece of paper called an Application to get a job or rent an apartment.  We need a piece of paper called a Loan Document to buy a car or a house.  And then we need a piece of paper called a Deed to prove we own those things.  We need a small laminated piece of paper called a Driver's License to operate a vehicle and prove we're old enough to drink.  (No one is turning that one down.  In fact, people want those so badly, they make fake ones!)  We also need several pieces of paper called Money to buy everything we want.

What's so different about a marriage license?  We have all these pieces of paper saying we commit to things, but we shouldn't have a piece of paper saying we commit to the person we love?  I say, if you're using the piece of paper defense, it's not that you don't want to get married.  It's that you don't want to marry the person you're with.  Because, if you really did, a little piece of paper wouldn't stop you.

Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment