Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Safire Dreams

By popular demand (and by that, I mean my sister suggested it) I have decided to post another poem from my early single years (also known as high school).  This one was her favorite, and for good reason.  It's very profound.  So much so, that some of it even goes over my, the author's, head.  Let's dissect it together, shall we?  We shall.

Safire Dreams

(I don't believe I spelled Safire wrong by accident here.  I think I was emphasizing the fire part.  Let's see, sapphire's are blue, right?  So my dreams were blue, or sad, and fiery, or angry.  Safire.  Boom, nailed it.)

Safire dreams 
of wishes moved on
blessed memories of old times
are all dead and gone

(I'm willing to bet some turd muffin broke my heart and I was having sad, angry feelings about it.)

your one philosophy
out of sight out of mind
my one philosophy
out of mind out of sight

(What?  Out of mind, out of sight?  What does that mean?  Well, I'll tell you.  Obviously, it's...I mean, clearly...this...makes no sense.  I was, like, 16, give me a break.)

Such a short time in the past
seems almost not to exist
but to me it collected the time
like the watch does on my wrist

(I probably dated this guy for three weeks, two days and five hours, but I'm sure it felt like an eternity!  And that's likely all it took for me to fall madly, deeply and truly in love with him.  It was so simple then.  *sigh*)

The bridges are all burnt
on the pathway back to you
and the lesson I have learned
that in my heart is true

Is never a second time
never a second thought
never a second chance to have
the first chance that you got

(It's possible, that when I got my heart broken, I lost my temper.  And it's probable that I didn't hide it from the heart breaker.)

So in my sleep
this nightmare screams
and tells the tale
of my safire dreams

(I think the screaming nightmare is the sound of regret, due to the temper losing and all, thus I am sad and angry.)

Do you see why this was my sister's favorite poem?  It has everything!  Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles...oh wait, that's The Princess Bride.  Well, close enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment