Friday, March 9, 2012

Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho, I'm off to work and it blows

As of today, I have officially been at my new "real job" for three weeks.  And let me just say, I...am...exhausted!  I don't have time to do anything!  I'm tired ALL the time*.  I've always been a fan of sleep, but now I'm a groupie.  It's all I want to do.  And then when I finally get to have my love affair with sleep, I dream I'm at work.

Because I need to afford to support myself and I'm not qualified for any job that pays me enough to support myself, I got a job as a receptionist in the mail room of a very large company so that I could work my way up to being able to support myself.  So, naturally, I keep dreaming that people are bringing mail to my bed.  (I sleep in my underwear, which adds a little extra excitement to the dreams because I keep flashing the mail delivery people...who aren't really there).

Add to my exhaustion the fact that I've come down with a severe case of writer's block.  I feel like Creativity is being held hostage by Obligation and Responsibility (the nasty little bitches).  At my last job I was practically begging for more hours.  I was only being scheduled on weekends, I had all the time in the world, and I felt like a useless waste of space.  Now, I work 40 whole hours a week.  I am a regular, acceptable, functioning member of society.  And I feel like a soulless robot.  I realize that now I have the same schedule as 90% of the population, but that doesn't mean I have to like it!  Remind me, again, what I hated so much about waiting tables?


*Last week at dance class, my instructor asked me how my new job was going.  I said, "It's exhausting!  I was not meant for full time!"  He said, "You're more of a trophy wife, aren't you, Jen?"  Wow, a great dancer and a genius.  I call that money well spent.

1 comment:

  1. I am feeling you on this one!! Was a SAHM for over 7 years and have been back for about 6 months due to divorce...it's not something I ever imagined I'd be doing, but apparently I do it well because a bunch of promotions and great timing later and I am LOVING it!!

    ReplyDelete